Arthur Paul Foster
- Born: 7 May 1938, Albany, Albany County, New York
- Died: 10 Jun 2005, St. Peter's Hospital, Albany, Albany County, New York at age 67
- Buried: 14 Jun 2005, St Jean de Baptiste Cemetery, Troy, Rensselaer County, New York
Cause of his death was ALS [Lou Gehrig's Disease].
Arthur is the third of four siblings and born in Albany, NY where he grew up.
TROY, NY Arthur Paul Foster, 67, died on Friday, June 10, 2005 at St. Peter's Hospital after a brief illness. Born in Albany on May 7, 1938, he was the son of the late Joseph John Jr. and Mary Adele Galvin Foster. He remained a lifelong area resident of the Albany and Troy area and was a communicant of Our Lady of Victory Church in Troy. Arthur was a graduate of Vincentian School in Albany, Providence College in R.I., Class of 1960, and obtained his master's degree in teaching from SUNY Cortland. While in high school and college, Arthur was one of the areas top athletes. He excelled in basketball, baseball and was All-City in football in high school. In 2003, Arthur was inducted into the Bishop Maginn Athletic Hall of Fame, an honor he was very proud to have achieved. He was employed for 28 years as a social studies teacher for the Troy City Schools, retiring in 1993, and was a member of the Troy Teachers Association. In his free time, Arthur enjoyed all types of sports, gardening and was a daily walker and avid reader. Survivors include his loving wife of 44 years, Jane; his adoring children, Elizabeth , Anthony , Jeanne . and Dianne ; his cherished grandchildren, Joseph, Kelsey, Samual, Katie, Max, Nate, Kim and Anna; his siblings, Joseph J. Foster III and Kevin J. Foster; and several nieces, nephews and cousins. Arthur was predeceased by his sister, Irene (Foster) Dougherty. Funeral services will be on Tuesday at 8:45 a.m. from Doran Funeral Home, 9 South Lake Avenue in Troy and at 9:30 at Our Lady of Victory Church on Marshland Court in Troy with Rev. Randall P. Patterson officiating. Relatives and friends may call at the funeral home on Monday from 3 to 7 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family request donations be made to the ALS Clinic at St. Peter's Hospital, 315 South Manning Blvd., Albany, N.Y. 12208 in memory of Arthur P. Foster.
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Noted events in his life were:
• Education: Vincentian Institute, Albany, NY, 1943-1956. Attended Vincentian Institute in Albany, NY for grade and high school. Graduated June of 1956 with Regents diploma. .
• Education: Providence College/Providence RI, 1956-1960. BA in History
• Employment: Mount Carmel High School/ Auburn, NY, 1960-1965. He began a career in teaching in 1960 in Mt Carmel HS in Auburn , NY. While there he taught History and French. He also coached all three sports, baseball, basketball and football and served as Athletic Director for three of the five years.
• Education: SUNY Cortland/Cortland, NY, 1960-1965. MA in Education with NYS Certification
• Employment: Albany Academy For Boys/Albany, NY, 1965-1966. Taught History and coached football and basketball.
• Employment: Troy School District/Troy, NY, 1967-1993. Began career in Special Education @ School 5. Transferred to Middle School and taught 8th Grade Social Studies from 1969 to 1993. Taught in School 12 and School 10 and finished up career in Doyle Middle Scool.
• Education: SUNY Albany/Albany NY, 1980s. Principal's Certificate
• Honors: Bishop Magin Sports Hall of Fame, May 2003, Albany, NY. Induction of Athlete of Class of 1956 of Vincentian Institute. Excelled in Baseball, Football and Basketball.
• Obituary: Notes, 12 Jun 2005, Troy, NY.
Arthur married Living